brew update twice and
brew doctor (and fix all the warnings) before creating an issue!
This document will help you check for common issues and make sure your issue has not already been reported.
Check for common issues
Check to see if the issue has been reported
- Search the appropriate issue tracker to see if someone else has already reported the same issue:
- If the formula or cask that has failed to install is part of a non-Homebrew tap, then check that tap’s issue tracker instead.
- Search the Homebrew discussion forum or Discourse archive to see if any discussions have started about the issue.
Create an issue
If your problem hasn’t been solved or reported, then create an issue:
- Collect debugging information:
- If you have a problem with installing a formula: run
brew gist-logs <formula> (where
<formula> is the name of the formula) to upload the logs to a new Gist.
- If your have a non-formula problem: collect the output of
brew config and
- Create a new issue on the issue tracker for Homebrew/homebrew-core, Homebrew/homebrew-cask or Homebrew/brew and follow the instructions:
- Give your issue a descriptive title which includes the formula name (if applicable) and the version of macOS or Linux you are using. For example, if a formula fails to build, title your issue “<formula> failed to build on <platform>”, where “<formula>” is the name of the formula that failed to build, and “<platform>” is the name and version of macOS or Linux you are using.
- Include the URL provided by
brew gist-logs <formula> (if applicable) plus links to any additional Gists you may have created.
- Include the output of
brew config and